White Sands Hospitality is proud to represent the most iconic hospitality destinations on the Forgotten Coast. Our family includes the renowned Gibson Inn in Apalachicola, home to the Franklin Café and Parlor Bar and currently expanding from 45 to 69 rooms, and the 44-key Apalach Inn, a Best Western affiliate. Additional facilities include a dedicated off-site commercial laundry as well as several other upcoming hotel and lodging projects. We also feature full F&B and Vacation Rental divisions in our portfolio.
We have an immediate opening for an Area Director of Engineering with a focus on our hotel portfolio. The Director of Engineering is responsible for managing and supervising all building-related systems and the building envelope to ensure the safety of hotel guests, associates, and vendors. They ensure compliance with company engineering assumptions/culture, preventative maintenance programs and procedures, SOPs, and all Building/Fire/Health Department codes. They will maintain the building complex as energy efficiently as possible.
- Interview, hire, train, and develop departmental team members. Uncover and Resolve personnel problems, provide open communication, and recommend discipline and/or termination when appropriate.
- Oversee maintenance team, painters, grounds, and landscaping - internal and contract crews regarding seasonal and ongoing needs.
- Implement and schedule property and equipment preventive maintenance programs (Including HVAC, Ice Machines, Kitchen Equipment, Tank-less water heaters, etc.) in compliance with corporate standards and local, state, and national codes and regulations. Keep logs as appropriate to detail compliance.
- Prioritize service requests; schedule and monitor the service performed to ensure customer satisfaction, safety, and convenience.
- Monitor utility consumption to determine the effectiveness of current systems.
- Review purchase requests and monitor expenses budget to ensure goals are met/exceeded.
- Assist in the administration of the department by preparing and maintaining schedules, logs, records, and other documentation to ensure a smooth operation and minimize liabilities.
- Comply with attendance rules and be available to work on a regular basis.
- Perform any other job-related duties as assigned.
- Oversee scheduling and implementation of Hotel Capital Improvement Projects (CapEx)
- Serve as safety officer for the property, with ultimate responsibility for all Life/Fire/Safety systems on the property, including, but not limited to, guest room and common area lock systems, fire suppression, and alarm systems.
- Schedule quarterly and yearly training for the property team, including but not limited to Hurricane Preparedness, First Aid, Blood Born Pathogen, Fire Alarm and evacuation plans, Fire Extinguisher Training, and Robbery scenarios.
- Manager on Duty (MOD) coverage as required
- Work closely with all departments of the hotel, including Housekeeping, Front Desk, and Food and Beverage.
- Perform Daily property walk-throughs, logging and addressing quickly any issues including but not limited to leaks, broken equipment, safety or security concerns, etc.
- Schedule and perform room PMs (Planned Maintenance) a minimum of 3 x yearly
- Respond to after-hours service calls as necessary to keep OOO (Out of Order) to a minimum.
- Provide familiarization tours to all leadership positions, including the location of breaker boxes, fire suppression, and water heaters, and directions for troubleshooting and shutoff in an emergency.
- Coordinate and schedule Contract work and Vendors, including HVAC, Elevator, Pest Control, Electrical, Plumbing, etc.
- Possess a working knowledge and ability to troubleshoot in-room systems, including Cable/Direct TV, Telephone, and the Internet.
- Maintain proper inventory (PAR) levels for FF&E, including TVs, Phones, Beds, etc.
- College degree or college courses considered helpful, engineering related preferred.
- Vocational schooling, military training, certification, and/or experience in building-related trades required in 1 or more of the following areas: HVAC, Electrical, Plumbing, and Carpentry.
- 1 year of hands-on experience in a comparable location/industry.
- Skilled in several areas such as HVAC, electrical, carpentry, dry walling, painting, plumbing, roofing, and landscaping.
- Knowledge of hotel operations, including marketing plans, security and safety programs, personnel and labor relations, preparation of business plans, repairs, maintenance, budget forecasting, quality assurance programs, hospitality law, and long-range planning.
- Leadership skills to motivate and develop staff and ensure goal accomplishment. Able to set priorities, plan, organize, and delegate.
- Ability to work effectively under time constraints and deadlines.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills. Ability to adapt communication style to suit different audiences, such as effectively communicating with supervisors, coworkers, the public etc.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
Annual Salary: Up to $60,000 depending on experience
Bonus Details: Bonus opportunities based on individual performance.
Benefits & Perks:
- Generous Paid Time Off
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- 401(k) with Employer Match
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Healthcare spending or reimbursement accounts, such as HSAs, FSAs, and HRAs
- Long-term disability insurance
- Short-term disability insurance
- Exclusive perks from across the White Sands Hospitality family of businesses.
- Relocation assistance is considered for the right candidate.