Patriot Family Homes is a fully integrated short-term rental company that is proudly Veteran-owned and operated. We are currently headquartered in Chattanooga, TN, but also have many remote and travel roles, as well as field teams that include W-2 and 1099 team members who live in the markets where our houses are located across the Southeast, Midwest, Mid-Atlantic, and Southwest. We currently have 80 employees who manage a portfolio of ~600 short-term rentals.
We encourage Military and Military spouses to apply!
As the Controller, you are responsible for maintaining a strong accounting organization, developing processes to ensure accurate and timely accounting, and developing critical business relationships across all functions of the Company. This is a very high-profile position within the company and will interact daily with executive leadership and all operational departments within the Company. This position will report directly to the CFO and has the potential for advancement in the future.
- Ensure the timely and accurate recording and reporting of financial information on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis in accordance with US GAAP, including the timely completion of all balance sheet reconciliations.
- Direct all general accounting functions across the portfolio of companies.
- Manage all reporting to meet internal and external financial reporting requirements, including standard financial statements (balance sheet, P&L, cash flow), portfolio performance, and cash-on-cash return.
- Ensure timely payment of all liabilities and processing of cash receipts.
- Monitor outstanding accounts receivable and accounts payable and the associated aging of those accounts.
- Oversee and provide leadership to the accounting team and provide insight to leadership to allow the team to scale accordingly with the rapid growth of the business.
- Coordinate and lead efforts for continuous improvement both in the accounting department and across the organization.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process and other regulatory examinations/reviews as necessary.
- Research, interpret, document, and implement accounting guidance associated with various accounting transactions, including the adoption of new accounting standards.
- Interact with lenders, auditors, and other third parties regarding finance functions as required.
Ensure compliance with all tax regulations, returns filings, and tax liabilities payments, including property tax, lodging, and occupancy tax, sales and use tax, and annual federal income taxes due from owners.
- Manage external teams responsible for income taxes, revenue recognition, payroll, benefits administration, and others as needed.
- A bachelor’s degree in accounting required
- CPA or CPA-eligible is highly preferred but not required
- 5+ years of accounting experience or equivalent work experience
- 2+ years of experience supervising other team members
- Strong understanding of GAAP; Big 4 experience a plus
- Be a proactive and driven leader with a strong desire to serve others and drive results.
- Demonstrate leadership and personal initiative, proactively identifying solutions to current and potential challenges
- Be skilled at communication with all constituents, including executive leadership, investors, and business partners at all levels
- Have experience building and retaining a high-performing team with a proactive customer service mindset inside a growing, dynamic environment
- Have a strong background in GAAP accounting and implementation/maintenance of a solid framework of internal controls across the organization
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously with minimal involvement from the manager
- Strong communication, presentation, and negotiation skills with all levels of management
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
Annual Salary: $120,000 - $140,000
- Paid time off, such as PTO, sick days, and vacation days
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement benefits or accounts
- Long-term disability insurance
- Short-term disability insurance
- Commuting/travel assistance
- Telecommuting options